Sunday, February 9, 2014

Winter Sunset, 9x12, Sold

Winter Sunset, pastel on board by Adriana Meiss
  It seems that I begin to warm to winter's charm only when the season reaches its mid point. And then, I get the need to hurry and paint winter scenes before the snow and cold are gone.

  This scene is from a reference photo taken years ago on Rt 370. I did a drawing in graphite that came out nice so I decided to do it in oils, for the class I'm taking. Given that pastels are great and faster for experimenting, I did this version at home, but with less detail in the middle ground.  Now I'm trying to reproduce these same colors in  my oil painting.

 The feeling of hurry continues to creep up on me just thinking of the many early deadlines for competitions I would like to submit to, and the many half-finished paintings in the studio... Four of them show promise though so at this point it's just a matter of overcoming the fear of ruining a painting.

3 comments:

hmuxo said...

A beautiful winter scene, Adriana...I love the way you painted the snow and the wonderful light hitting it. Excellent work!

Donna T said...

That is really gorgeous, Adriana!I'm sure the oil version will be a knockout too. I've about had it with all of this snow and look forward to any hint of spring!

Adriana Meiss said...

Hilda, Thank you so much!
Donna, Thanks to you too. I'm tired of so much snow but the cold makes it worst. I'm looking forward to at least temperatures in the 30's!